Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Going Green for Christmas Part One

I just can't bear the thought of cutting down a Christmas tree. I lived my whole life (and that is a long time) without ever having a live Christmas tree until Christmas 2006. Actually, isn't live Christmas tree kind of an oxymoron? Dying Christmas tree would be more appropriate.

I'm so daft about this that one year I made my husband take home a straggly tree that was abandoned on a Christmas tree lot. I figured it would be a good bird feeder for the winter in the backyard. I didn't really consider how much work disposal would be in July.

Anyway, in 2006 I was in a new relationship. And he had always had live trees. So I acquiesced. I will admit it was the most beautiful Christmas tree I'd ever had. Full and lush and ahhhh the wonderful scent. My indoor cat also thought bringing a tree in the house was the greatest idea since catnip.

But I felt guilty the entire holiday season that I was responsible for the demise of this magnificent act of creation. Granted I did not cut it down. It was already on the lot. But would it be on the lot if people didn't come to buy it? The following Christmas, I convinced him to go with an artificial tree.

2007 was his first experience with an artificial tree. He decided to buy a new prelit tree. I had thought of prelit trees long before they were available but I could never figure out how to create one. Duh! Turns out it is pretty simple.

So now I have this prelit tree. We both like it. But it is already obsolete. Seems now I need a prelit led christmas tree. I am already looking longingly at them. They are quite beautiful but I hate to spend that much money this year. I will do my part over Christmas to stimulate the economy but not that much.

No comments: