Sunday, November 2, 2008

When to Watch Christmas Movies

What would Christmas be without a few screenings of Christmas movies? It is an important part of the holidays for me. I usually try to hold off until December but then I watch as many as I can.

One of the reasons I wait until December is that I don’t want to dilute the Christmas experience for myself. Anyone who loves Christmas as much as I do is likely already excited about the displays in all the stores. Sure we grumble that the holiday is being commercialized and that Christmas comes earlier every year. In fact this year, given the economic uncertainty, many retailers rolled out Christmas before Halloween. But come on be truthful. Doesn’t your heart smile just a teeny bit more when you see the red and the green and the gold and the silver.

Yet as with everything else, you can get too much of a good thing. I love Christmas carols but by December 25th I have heard more than enough. That is because they are already playing! I have already heard them twice while out shopping before Halloween. And I confess I did stop, while in a store yesterday, to look carefully at one of the decorated trees.

Still, I love Christmas too much to ever ruin it for myself. Even as a kid, I never once peeked at my gifts because I love to be surprised. And I set December 1st as the day my holiday season can officially begin. And that includes viewing Christmas movies. Which movie to watch first is always a tough choice. I don’t have a tradition of viewing a particular movie first.

I do thank God though for technology. It used to be that television broadcast many of my favorite Christmas movies but that cannot be depended on anymore. When I noticed a marked decrease of airings, I started paying more attention to building my own viewing collection. This has turned out to be a great decision because now I do not have to depend on TV schedules. Nor do I have to worry that my favorite will be available at the rental store… it usually isn’t.

I have both VHS and DVD. Gradually, I am trading the VHS for DVD because they hold up better and take up less room to store. The great part is I can view them when it suits me. Stop and start when it suits me. And of course, choose which movie to view. And at the end of the season they get packed away in the “open first” Christmas decorations box.

No comments: